[Feature Request] No ability to combine products into a single list via Full Product Changelog?

In order to post a topic/ticket, you MUST provide content in the main tinyMCE editor field. It is not possible to only use the "Private Content" section, as that input only represents a meta data addition to your ticket. The forum can't save a ticket without actual content!

Whenever you want to post confidential information, such as website addresses, user names, password or anything else you don't want others to see, use the "Private Content" section  that you will find below the main text editor box.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author

drewmcmanus
    Participant

I can’t seem to find any way to include more than a single product into a full product changelog. Granted, per my other ticket, the shortcode isn’t generating anything now anyway but via the documentation, it lists product=”my-product-name” as a parameter but no indication if you can combine multiple products or a comma separated list (product=”my-product-name,my-product-name2,my-product-name3”) into a single shortcode.

This seems to be an obvious function and I do need the ability to provide a single master list of all products listed by creation date.

Thanks in advance for a prompt reply.

Tekanewa
    Tekanewa
    Keymaster

Hi,

in its current state, the plugin does not allow to combine multiple products into one changelog and it never advertised such a feature. The shortcode parameter is called “product” (singular), and not “products”.

I’m also not quite sure how that should work; a changelog, by definition, is specific to one product (item), so how would combining multiple items into one changelog even look like?

Tekanewa

drewmcmanus
    Participant

I see what you mean but having a full list for users to see the most recently updated item without having to open one list at a time is a huge UX boost. All it would take is to add the product name to .ts-changelog-title-holder: http://screencast.com/t/hlOZvAfsj3N

From there, users can then filter the display to a single product if desired but that master list provides an overview of everything and in a system like multiple plugins that work in tandem inside a single theme, this is a critical item.

Tekanewa
    Tekanewa
    Keymaster

Hi,

I can see the appeal of your idea, but implementing such a feature will run into some complications (for example, once lazyload is activated … which product should the lazyload retrieve from the server?).

A more feasible solution would be to incorporate a separate shortcode that can pull the last change of multiple products and show those as a summary changelog. But I still believe that in general, full product changelogs should be specific to one product (item).

While the plugin has been released a couple of months ago (April), it has only sold 7 licenses so far and you are the first buyer to actually provide feedback (aside from the blatant bug you found in your other topic). So further development of the plugin hasn’t been exactly a priority; but I always attempt to listen to my buyers and so I will see, what can be done.

Tekanewa

drewmcmanus
    Participant

Thanks again for the prompt feedback and I’m glad to hear there’s some potential for including this function. I also understand where you’re going with the lazyload issue and I would be fine with the solution you provided,

It’s too bad there are only a handful of sales, granted, it is definitely a niche market but it saves so much time over coding it out directly; consequently, if you were reasonably confident that this is something you can include in a month or so, I’ll be happy to wait as opposed to searching for an alt solution.

Drew

Tekanewa
    Tekanewa
    Keymaster

Drew,

yes, it is a niche market and the only reason this plugin exists is because I needed something like it for my items that are on sale on CodeCanyon, and I couldn’t find a free or premium plugin that could do, what I needed it to do anywhere else. So I wrote one myself.

I’m currently finishing up a new product (which I hope to release later next week) and have some update work to do on my best selling item first, but after that, I will invest some time into this plugin and see if I can come up with another shortcode to create such a summary of last changes for multiple products. I can’t promise that it will be done in a month, but if at all possible, it will roll out as soon as possible.

Tekanewa

drewmcmanus
    Participant

Many thanks! I’ll be sure to leave a nice review comment at the Envato plugin page.

Tekanewa
    Tekanewa
    Keymaster

Thank you very much for the rating!!!

Tekanewa

Tekanewa
    Tekanewa
    Keymaster

Drew,

I finished a first BETA for the plugin, including a new shortcode that combines multiple products into one big changelog, with up to 10 items per product. You can download the BETA here:

link-template-default-ext

Let me know what you think.

Tekanewa

drewmcmanus
    Participant

Hi Tekanewa, this is fantastic! I have it up and running at http://documentation.ventureindustriesonline.com/global-changelog-test/

The shortcode generator for creating the global list was completely self explanatory and the only bug I can see is there may be some missing buttons here: http://screencast.com/t/84Zsqjl7LQsg

Otherwise, I can’t think of a single option at this point that isn’t covered here but I am curious to know if the # limit only applies to the main list and not the filtered view.

Drew

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘No ability to combine products into a single list via Full Product Changelog?’ is closed to new replies.